The Higher Council for Innovation and Excellence (HCIE)
Activity Report from October to December 2019
1. The Higher Council for Innovation and Excellence (HCIE) and the Turkish Technological and Scientific Research Center (Tubitak) launch the Joint Cooperation Program
The HCIE launched the joint applied research cooperation program with the Turkish Technological and Scientific Research Center (TUBITAK).
This joint is funded by the Creativity and Excellence Support Fund (which was established by the HCIE by the presidential decree of His Excellency President Mahmoud Abbas), and aims to open the opportunity for researchers from both the Palestinian and the Turkish sides to cooperate in order to improve the quality of their applied research in the sectors of (water and wastewater, biotechnology, nanotechnology, energy and information technology).
2. The HCIE signs an incubation and financing agreement for a research project in the field of medical medicine
The HCIE signed an incubation and funding agreement for a research project to develop two medicines for Parkinson’s disease, conducted by, Dr. Rafik Qarman. The project aims to develop and improve the therapeutic efficacy of dopamine and gabapentin derivatives by improving the dynamics of access and absorption of these derivatives.
3. The HCIE joined the Asian Network of Science Parks and Creativity Centers
The HCIE joined the Asian Science Parks Network, as a strategic member, during the participation of the Council represented by the Director General of International Relations A. Khaled Qalalawa at the twenty-third conference of the network in Taiwan.
The network includes more than 30 countries and is a non-governmental organization founded in Japan in 1997 for the purpose of achieving joint development in the scientific, industrial and technological fields.
4. Welcoming of “Makers of Change in Palestine”
The HCIE welcomed the CEO and founder of Change Makers and the Global Center for Governance and Sustainable Development, Dr. Mohammed Khalifa.
During the meeting, the two parties discussed means of cooperation, and a set of ideas, plans, programs, projects and work mechanisms for the year 2020 were discussed
5. The HCIE and the Palestinian-Indian Technology Park sign a Memorandum of Cooperation
The memorandum states the necessity of joint work in order to raise awareness and spread the culture of leadership and creativity in the fields of modern and emerging technology through various activities carried out by the two parties, it as well aims to spread knowledge and promote technologies and their role in developing and providing creative and applied solutions to the various vital sectors in Palestine.
6. The HCIE welcomed His Excellency the Indian Ambassador to Palestine
The HCIE welcomed His Excellency the Indian Ambassador to Palestine, Mr. Sunil Kumar, and the Public Relations Officer at the embassy, Mr. Muhammad Abu Shamsiya. The two parties discussed ways of future cooperation and mechanisms for benefiting Palestinian entrepreneurial projects, through networking the Council with Indian government institutions working in the field of creativity, through signing memorandums of cooperation between the both sides.
7. Signing incubation agreements for four creative projects for Al-Quds Open University students
The HCIE signed agreements to incubate four creative projects for students from Al-Quds Open University in the field of information and communications technology. These projects are:
- The Hearing Eyes” by Duha Saadia and Raghad Al-Khawaja, under the supervision of Dr. Majed Hamayel.
- The Smart Bed for Bed-Sick” by Ibrahim Zawahra, supervised by Dr. Abdul Rahim Atawneh.
- The Bedwetting Therapist for People with Special Needs” Alaa Hamida, Walid Qaim, Hussein Karajeh, Hanin Saadeh, and supervised by Dr. Youssef Al-Sabah.
- The Application Jbaine for Folklore” by Hanan El-Lord, Moussa Qassem and Suhaib Al-Hadidi, under the supervision of Dr. M. Youssef Al-Sabah.
8. Signing incubation agreements for four creative projects for students from: Al-Quds University, An-Najah National University and Birzeit University
These projects are:
- Solar Water Desalination, by Mays Shadid from An-Najah University.
- The Smart Door by Elias Amr, Osama Bali and supervised by Dr. Ahmed Abdo from Al-Quds University.
- The Smart Bag by Bayan Al-Kurd and Rin Hadia, under the supervision of Dr. Ahmed Abdo from Al-Quds University.
- The Smart Stick, by its owners Ahmed Matan, and Mahmoud Anaqou, supervised by Dr. Abdul Rahim Jamah from Birzeit University.
9. The Visit of the HCIE to PECDAR
The Chairman of the HCIE, Mr. Adnan Samara and President of the Palestinian Economic Council for Development and Reconstruction (PECDAR) Mr. Muhammad Abu Awad, discussed the prospects for cooperation, through supporting the creativity system in Palestine, which is hoped to be a major pillar in building and developing the knowledge-based Palestinian economy.
10. Honoring the First Robotics Palestine team
The HCIE honoured the Palestinian team “First Robotics Palestine” for winning two gold medal awards in the category of creativity and excellence in the robot industry, and the tenth place in the safety award, during the global competition on robot design, which was held in Dubai, with the participation of Teams from 191 countries.
11. The HCIE welcomed a delegation from the Friends School
The HCIE welcomed a delegation from the Friends School and its Pal Model United Nations team, who are high school students at Friends School.
The two parties discussed means of future cooperation between them and mechanisms for benefiting from creative experiences and Palestinian entrepreneurial projects, by signing joint memorandum of cooperation between both sides.
12. Palestine Wins Third Place in Research and Development at the sixth Cairo International Innovation Exhibition
“Beltra” project won the third place (bronze medal) at the competition for research and development in the health and medical sector, and “Reconis” company won a prize of 30 thousand Egyptian pounds in the category of best start-up company, during the participation in the activities of the Cairo International Exhibition The sixth for innovation organized by the Academy of Scientific Research and Technology at the International Conference and Exhibition Center in Cairo with the participation of 26 Arab and foreign countries.